Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Modern Music Agenda

I was in the car the other day and I heard a song that I really liked. (:  I thought I'd post it up.
It's pretty slow, but it's got a really nice tune and sweet lyrics.  These days it's hard to find songs that are sweet and simple like this one.  Lately I've been noticing that most songs have to include some sort of innuendo and I really don't think it's necessary.

So I'm going along, you know, my usual ride in the car to theater rehearsals, listening to the radio

And I'm having a good time singing my heart out to '22' by Taylor Swift when 'Locked Out Of Heaven' by Bruno Mars comes on.  I like Bruno Mars.  He's got a great voice, but when I heard this song....

'Oh my gosh! A new Bruno Mars song, this is so goo--HOLY CANNOLI! DID HE SERIOUSLY JUST SAY THAT?!'

To say the least I was shocked and appalled.  Sure, whatever, sex is a word and it refers to something real and it's fine and all, but to sing about such things in songs, so blatantly is quite shocking.  

It's a very normal thing now, actually.  You're constantly getting songs with very blatant dirty meanings in them.  I don't care who you are, singing about sleeping with girl after girl or streaking in the park last Friday night isn't exactly stellar behavior.  I'm not saying they're not good songs.  believe me, they've all got great tunes and are fun to sing along to or play at parties, but if you think about it, our music industry is really going down a sad road.  

Only a little bit ago music still held some standards.  Honestly, you can make a good tune without throwing in dirty meanings. When I hear a great song that has things thrown into it just for the heck of it I can't help but face-palm

There are plenty of amazing songs out there without dirty meanings or cuss words thrown in so why do people feel the need for it?  It doesn't enhance the lyrical genius at all.  Love songs now a days are no longer about love, but about lust.  And that is a sad state to be in.  The guy that says your sex takes him to paradise is not worth dating because he's not looking at you and what he can give you to make you happy.  He's looking at your body and what he can get from it to make himself happy.  And taking that mindset and putting it into a song is sickening.

It's common sense guys, just think about it.
Which would you choose?  The man who would sing to give his all to you because he loves you and all your perfect imperfections?  Or the guy that says your sex takes him to Paradise?  What do we want to raise up in our generation?  Young men who genuinely care or boys who just want to use?

Das right, I went there. 

Truly yours
Belle







No comments:

Post a Comment